Looking for Chimney Repair Services?
Are you worried about your chimney? If so, you’re not alone. Brick chimneys may look like they are built to last forever, but like all masonry, they will eventually need some repairs.
In harsh climates, like we have here in Metro Detroit, it is even more important that you keep your chimney in good repair.
Here at Easy Home Improvement, we get a lot of questions about chimney repair. Here are the answers to the most common questions we get.
How Does Chimney Repair Work?
Each chimney repair is different. It depends on the cause of the problem, how old the masonry is, and how well the chimney has been maintained.
The most common cause of external chimney damage is moisture. Water, snow, and ice can cause cracks in the masonry of the chimney. If these cracks are not repaired they can get worse and eventually threaten the crown, and the entire structural integrity of the chimney.
Chimneys can also develop leaks, that allow moisture to come down the chimney into your fireplace.
If chimneys are not regularly cleaned, they can build up flammable residue on the inside of the chimney that can damage the masonry and present a fire hazard for your home.
A chimney repair has three steps:
- First the chimney is inspected
- Identify the problem(s) with the chimney
- Bricks and mortar are repaired or replaced as needed
What Happens if You Don’t Repair Your Chimney?
Many homeowners are intimidated by having to deal with their chimneys because they don’t want to go on their roof themselves and they are worried about the expense of having their chimney replaced.
However, ignoring your chimney can be dangerous. If small cracks are dealt with quickly, the cost is usually reduced. But, if problems with your chimney are not addressed, they can spread and threaten the structural integrity of the chimney.
In the worst case, a chimney can crash-in on itself, causing extensive damage to your home. A chimney that is in poor condition is also a fire hazard.
Signs Your Chimney Needs Repaired
Unless you know what to look for, it can be hard to know if your chimney needs repaired. Here are a few signs that your chimney has problems that need to be fixed by a professional:
- White discoloration the outside of the chimney. This is called efflorescence. It’s more than just a stain. It’s a sign that too much moisture is collecting in the masonry.
- Damaged mortar joints. This exposes the masonry to more moisture and left untreated, could cause the chimney to fall apart & collapse.
- Shaling and Spalling. If you see bits of clay chimney flue or bricks that have fallen off & “peeled” away it means moisture has seeped into the masonry and is forcing the bricks apart usually due to the expansion & contraction of the brick due to trapped moisture & the freeze/thaw temperatures we experience in Michigan.
How Much Does Chimney Repair Cost?
Costs for chimney repairs vary considerably depending on the extent of work needed to
correct the problem as well as the set up involved to get to the chimney safely to ensure no one
is hurt during the repair.
Easy Home Improvement offers an in person consultation & quote for chimney repair services. If you think you might have an issue with your chimney, you need to get an expert to look at it right away.
Would you like a Chimney Repair Quote? Call Us Today at 1-844-444-EASY